Let’s tie an Ice Cream Cone Midge:
- Hook – Scud style hook is what I prefer. You can tie them from size 12 on down and be effective. I prefer mine in a size #14.
- Thread – Should match your body color for good effect
- Bead – For the ones pictured here, I used a glass Pearl bead. They can also be tied with Metal beads to fish even deeper water if you prefer. I have some tied both ways just in case.
- Body – I use Stretch Cord bought at Wal-Mart. This is a fine oval, and, very stretchy material to make a segmented body.
- Ribbing – Your color preference and material. I like to use Krystal Flash for my ribs in color to match with the body material.
Ok, that is the material you will need, now the tying procedure:
- Insert Glass or Metal bead on hook and slide up to the eye of the hook.
- Start thread right behind the bead on the hook and build up a taper with the thread so that the hook is not easily able to slide back over your thread. Bring the thread to the rear of the hook and slightly down over the bend in this case. Bring thread back up, continuing to make a layered thread body and stop just behind your bead. Now tie in just one strand of Krystal Flash behind the bead and wrap your thread back over it and back down the hook shank to where the thread originally started.
- Return your thread back up the hook shank again layering your thread to a point just behind the bead. Next, cut a piece of Stretch cord and tie it in just behind the bead. Again, use your thread and bind down the stretch cord over the back of the hook and down to where the rest of the materials set at the rear of the hook.
- Most importantly, We are now ready to make our body. The Stretch Cord is very, very flexible and strong, too. It is important to keep a very tight pressure consistent as you wrap the body. Make each wrap side by side, do not overlap, and bring all the way up and tie off behind bead. If you don’t think you were tight enough with the wraps as far as tension goes, you can always unwrap and try again! Your body should be a small segmented shape as you come forward.
- Next take your one wrap of Krystal Flash and wrap it forward laying it into the segmented area of the body as you come forward with it. Brings a little flash and support to the body. Tie off the Krystal Flash and complete a whip finish know and your almost done.
- As an option, I then take Super Glue and lightly coat the entire body, top, bottom, and sides. This makes your body stand out and show segmented body even more. Carefully, remove from vise and set it up to dry. They are now virtually, indestructible!
Please enjoy tying up some Ice Cream Cones. I tie them in Cherry Red, Black, and Blue. Or, as I often say, Cherry, Blackberry, and, Blueberry……………. Ice Cream anyone?